According to Fox Charlotte, a soccer coach from the Catawba College Hall of Fame and Steele Creek Soccer Club has been arrested and charged with three counts of indecent liberties with a child, crimes against nature and first-degree sex offense.
Under North Carolina law, § 14‑202.1 refers to the crime of taking indecent liberties with children. It states that if a person over the age of 16 and at least 5 years older than the child in question takes or attempts to take any “immoral liberties” with the child, they could be found guilty of a Class F felony.
Any improper, immoral, or indecent acts done out of the purpose to gratify sexual desires or for arousal could fall into this category of crime. In this case, a child refers to anyone, male or female, under the age of 16.
Investigators said the arrest of Ralph Wager, 69, occurred as the result of a two-month long investigation following one man coming forward and claiming Wager had inappropriate sexual contact with him in the late 1980s. At the time the incident was alleged to have occurred, Wager was a soccer coach and PE instructor at Catawba College in Salisbury and was later inducted into their hall of fame in 2008. The school has since been notified of his arrest and is cooperating with the criminal investigation.
Investigators are not yet revealing the nature of the evidence they have against Wager but say it is strong enough to move forward with charges. It’s also not yet clear if Wager confessed after being questioned by police. He was arrested earlier this week, on Tuesday night, at his home in east Charlotte.
The victim was 9 years old when the abuse began and 12 when it ended. The boy was not directly under Wager’s soccer instruction at the time of the sexual abuse, but was involved in a different athletic activity.
The Steele Creek Soccer Club has removed Wager from its website and say he has been suspended indefinitely as a coach due to the Steele Creek Athletic Association’s zero-tolerance policy. Wager is currently in jail with a $500,000 bond. Wager waived having a court appointed attorney and is now scheduled to be in court for a probable cause hearing on August 1.
Charlotte Criminal Lawyer Blog


Sandusky remained standing with his head down staring at the jury box while the verdict was read into the record.
He used this ruse to lure them out of their cars where he would rob and then rape them. These occurred in February 2010 in the high-end residential neighborhoods of Dilworth and Myers Park in Charlotte. According to officials at CMPD, Carter ambushed a woman as she was getting out of her car on Spanish Moss Lane. It was 1:30 AM and he clasped his hands over her mouth and demanded her pocketbook. He searched through her purse for money and when he did not find any he took her cigarettes instead.
In addition to the detectives, the squad also has its own prosecutor dedicated to ensuring that the perpetrators of these crimes are brought to justice. Barry Cook, once a member of the Mecklenburg County District Attorney’s office, came out of retirement to assist the cold case squad in prosecuting the offenders that they are successful in apprehending. Cook said, “There’s a lot of satisfaction in playing a part in solving these cold case sex crimes and putting whoever’s responsible for these crimes in prison.”
She knew him because they used to live together. She agreed to go with him to smoke pot, but when she tried to leave, Evans refused to let her go back to the Transit Center. Evan then pulled out a gun and took her back to his home on Brewton Drive in Charlotte. That is when the victim said that Evans raped her.
Michael Adams was arrested at his home earlier this week where he was then charged with exposing himself to a woman near Dilworth Elementary School. He was also charged with a separate incident of exposure involving a different woman that took place on East Park Avenue. Police have said that they are also investigating whether Adams is connected to other recent reports of flashing across the Charlotte area. One such incident was reported on a public jogging path near Dilworth.
A North Carolina man accused of murdering a pregnant woman has been arrested, according to a report by WCNC.com. The victim was 25-year-old Danielle Marie Watson and she was the manager at a local restaurant, the Flying Biscuit. Police say that Watson was stabbed to death in the kitchen of the restaurant by 22-year-old Mark Anthony Cox. At the time of her death, Watson was 2 months pregnant and was planning on getting married to her fiancé.
The victims of two 30-year-old rape cases are now on their way to seeing justice decades after their harrowing experiences. According to a recent report by
On January 6, 2012, the federal government took an important progressive step in the realm of sexual violence legislation. It has expanded the definition of rape. The new definition removes the gendered language and now includes the sexual violation of men and boys. Rape was previously defined by the federal government as “the carnal knowledge of a female forcibly and against her will.”